Assists center staff in carrying out various duties at the center as assigned, in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards, Day Care Licensing Regulations, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and other applicable standards.
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
1. Serves and welcomes visitors by:
• Greeting them in person or on the telephone, answering or referring inquiries, and directing them.
• Notifying center personnel of visitor arrivals.
• Issuing visitor’s badges and maintaining visitor’s log.
2. Performs clerical duties by:
• Entering data, completing reports, filing, and retrieving information.
• Typing miscellaneous correspondence, reports, memos, faxing information, copying various documentation.
3. Performs the duties of Teacher Assistant as assigned by:
• Assisting the teacher in implementing a good balance of child directed and teacher directed activities.
• Providing healthy and safe activities that are developmentally and age appropriate.
• Assisting the teacher with record keeping as assigned.
• Assisting with custodial duties of the classroom.
• Assisting with playground supervision.
• Serving as sick room attendant as directed.
4. Performs the duties of Bus Assistant as assigned by:
• Assisting bus driver in providing safe transportation for the children.
• Ensuring that all children are seated at all times while the bus is in motion.
• Ensuring that all children are wearing seat belts or are in appropriate car seats.
• Ensuring that all children enter and exit the bus safely.
5. Performs the duties of Cook Assistant as assigned by:
• Assisting the food service staff in preparing health, nutritious meals and snacks as directed, ensuring special dietary needs are met.
• Assisting with record keeping as assigned.
• Assisting with dish washing and maintaining the kitchen and storage areas in a safe, clean condition.
6. Performs custodial duties of the center as assigned by:
• Performing laundry duties as assigned.
• Assisting with general maintenance of center, such as emptying trash, maintaining floors, bathrooms, replenishing supplies, etc., as needed.
7. Contributes to team effort by:
• Communicating positively with staff, parents, and children who participate in the program.
• Attending local staff and parent meetings if required.
• Attending local or state training if required.
• Fostering an understanding of Head Start, its mission, goals, objectives, and program services.
8. Maintains confidence and protects agency operations by:
• Keeping information confidential.
9. Continually applies safety practices in all facets of the performance of duties by:
• Complying with agency safety standards.
• Supporting participation of a safe environment.
• Immediately reporting any unsafe or hazardous working conditions and/or any injury.
10. Other responsibilities:
• Performing other work related or assigned duties.
Education and Job Requirements:
Six months experience working within a variety of responsibilities to include working with young children, cooking in a restaurant, or cleaning in an industrial setting.
Other Job Requirements:
1. Demonstrated knowledge of Head Start system.
2. Ability to obtain current First Aid and CPR cards with infant/child CPR.
3. Ability to obtain food handler’s card if required by Program Director.
4. Ability to travel occasionally.
5. Ability to pass agency sponsored physical examination.
6. Possess current driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and current auto insurance coverage if required by Program Director.
7. Ability to relate positively to children and adults.
8. Must be enrolled in Oregon Criminal History Registry.
Other Skill Requirements:
1. Bilingual Spanish/English preferred. Bilingual fluency may be required at some work sites.
2. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
3. Ability to work and relate positively with children and adults.
4. Must perform duties with close direction and supervision given, operating from established directions and instructions.
May work outdoors intermittently with exposure to typical Oregon weather. There may be frequent interruptions, working alone, evening or weekend work, working long hours during peak periods. Working in a close environment with active children.
Physical Requirements of the Job:
Please see Human Resources for Physical Job Analysis.
Mental Requirements of the Job:
Continual interaction with co-workers, parents, and children to provide information. Must relate positively to children and adults. Considerable amount of variable levels of concentration with frequent or constant interruptions. Must be able to handle multi-faceted tasks on a frequent basis.
Apply for this job